Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pep Talks and "Go-to" Songs

Allison recently mentioned in a Music Moment comment that a certain song "is a go-to for me if I need to feel the peace of the Spirit."  I really liked the idea of having go-to songs and talks that help you feel the Spirit at a moment's notice.  I remember Emily similarly mentioning that she had a list of pep talks and quotes that helped her.  I love that idea and decided to start my own list, thus, starting my own "go-to" list of songs and talks that help me feel the peace of the Spirit.  

SONGS

I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus
Love at Home
Have I Done Any Good?
If the Savior Stood Beside Me (Same with Jess and Al)
The Light (as in Shine the light, Don't hide the light, We'll find the light, See the light, Be the light) 
Drop by Drop (Pretty much I love the Seminary video of the Ten Virgins that go with it)

TALKS
Come What May and Love It -Elder Wirthlin
Finding Joy in the Journey -Pte. Monson
The Best is Yet to Be -Elder Holland (Thanks to Em's recommendation)
Notwithstanding my Weakness -Elder Maxwell (Thanks to Al's recommendation)

DEVOTIONALS
Remember Lot's Wife -Elder Holland
His Grace is Sufficient -Brad Wilcox (Thanks to Kris's recommendation)
The Character of Christ -Elder Bednar (Thanks to Shan's recommendation)
Faith: An Essential Principle of the Gospel - Larry Howell

I'm sure my list is longer but those are the favorites of the favorites.  I'd be interested in hearing some of yours!   I just realized that a lot of my favorite talks were recommended by ya'll and I just want to thank you!  You are all amazing!  Any other "go-to" talks and songs?

4 comments:

  1. I love the "Lamb of God" soundtrack--specifically "Paradise" and "He Is Risen." There aren't any words, but it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Wow... I didn't know your father-in-law gave a BYU Devotional. I'll have to read/listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a three ring binder which contains many of my favorite talks and devotionals, I also I have a blog where I have organized my favorite quotes according to subject- but off the top of my head my go-to's are:

    Songs:
    Im trying to Be Like Jesus
    Give Said the Little Stream
    I Believe in Christ
    Jesus es Mi Luz

    Devotionals:
    Go For It! -Elder Ballard
    The Character of Christ -Elder Bednar
    Remember Lot's Wife ;)
    Give Us this Day our Daily Bread -Elder Christofferson (thanks to Jess)
    I also frequently reflect on the most life impacting conference I had while on my mission. Elder Corbridge spoke about the gospel, and the importance of the Holy Ghost (for an abbreviated version see his talk, The Way, from general conference), as well as Elder Bednar's Q&A fireside in Mesa last year (see also The Character of Christ devotional).

    GC Talks:
    Broken things to Mend, Elder Holland


    Of course there are more but those are the ultra favorites.

    PS Nor thanks for reminding me about Remember Lot's Wife, its been awhile and I REALLY needed it this week :)

    PPS I am excited you all get to have a fun weekend- love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off the top of my head, some of my favorites include:
    -A Sense of the Sacred
    -Remember Lot's Wife
    -Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence
    -Broken Things to Mend
    -The Challenge to Become
    -Quick to Observe
    -The Challenge to Become

    ReplyDelete