Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Lessons from Eve

I really enjoyed this talk "Lessons from Eve," by Elder Nelson for my personal study.  I needed a good talk on motherhood after a long day of chasing Jimmy around.  Anyway, there are a lot of great lessons and stories.  I thought this one was pretty funny.

"For a short time during the first year of our marriage, Sister Nelson maintained two jobs while I was in medical school. Before her paychecks had arrived, we found ourselves owing more than our funds could defray. So we took advantage of an option then available to sell blood at $25 a pint. In an interval between her daytime job as a schoolteacher and her evening work as a clerk in a music store, we went to the hospital and each sold a pint of blood. As the needle was withdrawn from her arm, she said to me, “Don’t forget to pay tithing on my blood money.” (When her mother learned I was bleeding her daughter between two jobs, I sensed at that time she may not have been too pleased with her new son-in-law.) Such obedience was a tremendous lesson to me. Sister Nelson’s commitment to tithe became my commitment, too."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1987/10/lessons-from-eve?lang=eng&query=motherhood

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was really interesting what Elder Nelson said about the creation of Eve. (And since he's a doctor he's an expert on such things.) :)

    "From the rib of Adam, Eve was formed. Interesting to me is the fact that animals fashioned by our Creator, such as dogs and cats, have thirteen pairs of ribs, but the human being has one less with only twelve."

    I didn't know that! Of course, I'd heard that Eve was created from Adam's rib, but I guess I always thought that it was figurative. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that a rib was taken from Adam literally, until last weekend when I was re-reading this talk by Elder and Sis Holland. Coincidentally the part that stood out to me was when Sis Holland said, "To reinforce the imagery of that unity, the scriptures indicate that God had figuratively taken a rib from Adam’s side to make Eve. " I also like the part just after that that has helped me explain women's equality in marriage to a few friends/investigators who have questioned that idea, "Not from his front that she should lead him and not from his back that she should despise him, but from his side, under his arm, close to his heart. "

      Peace and love!

      http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=859

      Delete