Thursday, August 8, 2013

Day In Day Out

Here are two graduation speeches I have enjoyed recently. Let me know what you think!

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/george-saunderss-advice-to-graduates/?src=me&ref=general&_r=2

My favorite part here is this paragraph,
"Most people, as they age, become less selfish and more loving.  I think this is true.  The great Syracuse poet, Hayden Carruth, said, in a poem written near the end of his life, that he was “mostly Love, now.” And so, a prediction, and my heartfelt wish for you: as you get older, your self will diminish and you will grow in love.  YOU will gradually be replaced by LOVE."


In the following speech I love that he teaches us that we choose what we think, and we choose how we see things. Do you know of any talks/literature on this subject?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2008/sep/20/fiction

The video link wasn't working, so this is the written talk. I haven't read it (I watched a video version) but I believe there are two swearwords, fyi.

No comments:

Post a Comment