Tuesday, September 3, 2013

An Idea

My third area in the mission field was an especially challenging one. At one point, my companion and I went to the bishop of the ward and asked him for suggestions to get the members to help with the work more. He made a suggestion, and we pretty much ignored it. I'm not sure why... Maybe because we didn't think it would work, or maybe we just forgot. At any rate, several weeks later we were still struggling to get the members involved. We went to the bishop again, and he asked if we'd implemented his original advice. No, we hadn't. He didn't chide us for it, but I had the thought: "You already asked him for advice, and you haven't implemented it. Why are you asking again?"

That was a teaching moment for me. I think that sometimes we (or at least I) go to Heavenly Father asking for answers or help. We receive revelation but we don't give it the heed we should. Then down the road a little way we turn to Him again hoping for help. But how can we expect more assistance when we haven't heeded that which we have already received?

Here's my point: General Conference is a month away. A lot of times we approach Conference as an opportunity to receive personal revelation and answers to questions or concerns. But how can we expect Heavenly Father to give us answers or assistance if we haven't already paid heed to that which we've been given in the past? In order to prepare for this upcoming Conference, I'm setting the goal to study one General Conference talk a day between now and October 5. That is 33 talks in 33 days--quite manageable. If you want to join me, you are quite welcome to do so. :o)

(Of course, you are all so awesome that you have probably been studying the talks all along over the past five months. In that case, at least this post will make me accountable for my goal.) :o)

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I will join in. Here is my favorite quote from yesterday's talk by Pte. Monson that I probably could've done better. "To help maintain this missionary force, and because many of our missionaries come from modest circumstances, we invite you, as you are able, to contribute generously to the General Missionary Fund of the Church." I remember feeling pumped about it when I first heard it but have long since forgotten about it. What a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in. I listened to the first two days in my car (I bought the CDs), but I'll try to start reading now that I'm caught up. Maybe we can get some discussion of them going on this blog.

    ReplyDelete